DIY + REWORK+ TRANSFORM + UP-CYCLE
Fashion should be about expressing your individuality, but we live in a consumption driven society where companies mass produce products quickly and cheaply in order to capitalise on the ever changing consumer trends. Take care of your clothes and learn to repair and update them yourself. Amongst all of the other great benefits it is extremely rewarding..."Whaaaat gurl you designed that yourself?" Get ready to hear that question ALL. THE. TIME.
TOP 5 DIY BENEFITS
- Cost, obviously
- Supporting positive change, less consumption and sustainable companies
- Disrupting mass market fashion - Prolonging the life of clothing, making something tired & old, young again. Like a face lift!
- Adding a unique spin onto everyday items
- Expressing individuality - nobody else will be wearing it!
TOP 5 DIY TIPS
1. Think about YOUR style, don't just grab a pair of jeans and scissors and start chopping away. Pull out each item of clothing you want to revamp and jot some ideas down, even create a Pinterest board with some DIY Inspo
2 . Make a home workshop, give yourself some space to lay out your supplies:
Cutting mat - you could just lay out some newspaper
Needle and thread
Beads, buttons and fabric paint
You can certainly introduce more crafts and supplies once you start to get more creative. Do not under estimate the time it takes sourcing materials.
3. Try on the items of clothing you are transforming and mark off where you are going to cut from and to. For example if you are cropping and fraying your jeans, don't take too much off to start with, start with a little and then you can take more off later ...but you can't add more on. Don't get scissor happy!!
4. Stay safe, place your clothing on the cutting mat and watch out for fingers as you cut. If you are cutting a tricky angle or a tough material ALWAYS get someone to assist you, don't screw up your style.
5 Get creative, add some embroidery or embellishment to finish off your style.
TOP 5 DIY BLOGGERS
1. I SPY DIY
Do you have any other ideas for up-cycling? Or have you done created anything you would like to share with us? Comment below and we will share the best ones on our Facebook page.